Saturday, August 12, 2006

Old News, New Package
I guess for The New York Times it's not a story until they write it. Still, the piece in Sunday's paper on wine ratings goes not a millimeter past a dozen other such pieces I've read in the past half-dozen years. Its stunning conclusion: The 100-point scoring system used by publications and retailers is little more than a marketing tool, a crude one at that, and subject to at the very least the appearance of manipulation for profit. Duh.

UPDATE: Geez, and they even make the palette/palate mistake: "It is easy to start an argument in the wine industry by positing that many wine makers fashion wines to please the palettes of Mr. Parker, Mr. Laube and other high-profile critics." If I had a pallet of wine for every time I've seen palette confused for palate....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd send you a couple of pallets of something for your pain and suffering, Pete, but am not quite sure among the palette of offerings what would please your palate! You are so funny! Haven't stopped at your blog in a while, but as always, am glad I did! Sara C.....